Substance Abuse and HIV for Young Adults
- Provides prevention and treatment link services to young adults between the ages of 13 and 24 in high-risk behaviors for HIV/HCV infection and substance use in the municipalities of Aguadilla, Mayagüez, Ponce and San Juan.
- MISSION: Our mission is to create and promote activities to prevent the spread of HIV/HCV, drug/alcohol use, and high-risk behaviors in the population of adolescents and young adults between the ages of 13 to 24, through the use of of preventive navigation strategies, treatment and coordination of integrated services in the municipalities of Mayagüez, Aguadilla, Ponce and San Juan.
- VISION: Our vision is to increase access to HIV/HCV and substance use/alcohol use prevention, education, and linkage services through the use of preventive strategies that contribute to a generation of healthy future adults. We believe that the use of early-stage navigation and psychoeducational interventions reduce high-risk behaviors and increase adherence to treatment in the young adult population aged 13-24.
- GOAL: Our goal is to identify, reach and impact the largest number of young adults in the municipalities of interest, through community outreach and impact activities aimed at reducing the incidence of HIV/HCV and the use of substances and alcohol.
- Educational talks on HIV/HCV and substance use
- Information Table
- Rapid HIV/Hepatitis C tests
- Distribution of prophylactics/prevention kits
- Link to mental health services, physical health, among other services
- Training for health providers and community providers Participation in health fairs
- Case navigation (education, work housing, social, health, etc.)
SAHFYA Project Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
787-833-6399 Ext. 5234
SAHFYA Project Physical Address - Ave. Dunscombe #191 Int., Mayagüez, PR 00680